Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Sage's Visit to Casa San Ysidro

Casa San Ysidro is a historic adobe home owned
by the Albuquerque Museum.


It frequently has scheduled guided visits by the docents.
Visitors call the museum to arrange for their visit.



But, they have events on the second Saturday of the month
for free, and also have events like participating in the community
Harvest Festival.


I had brought Sage to this location at the end of February.
She stood outside when the historic home was not open.
The tree was still a winter tree without leaves in February.




I attended a Saturday event to take photos of her inside
the courtyard area.


We waited for the guest speaker at 1:30,
about 20 minutes after my arrival.


The guest speaker spoke on the history of New Mexico
and what an affluent couple owned around the time period
of Josefina. She spoke in the room behind Sage in the
below photos.




It has a high ceiling with church ceiling beams. Visitors are not
allowed to take photos inside, but this is a public photo.
There were chairs set up in the room instead of the table in the middle.
The speaker was at the other side of the room and a projector
was used to visually support her talk with a PowerPoint presentation.


The below photo is the location near the room,
but facing the opposite direction.


 Down the portal outside hallway, there is another set of white doors.
Those doors are to the main hallway.


Near the front door and window is the kitchen on one side.
This is another public photo.


The below trunk is in the hallway.


The below photo is of the parlor across the hallway
from the kitchen. The curtain with the light behind it
is also in front of the casa. This photo was used by the
organization to advertise this event on Facebook!
There are also two bedrooms that visitors can see in this hallway.


After the talk by the guest speaker, I talked to a docent
I know outside of the door. He saw Sage and I asked
him if the blacksmith building in the back was open.


He had the keys! He opened both doors.


One side has the blacksmith area on one side.



On the other side, there is a cabinet with educational items
and a table and benches for events or school field trips.


Their Josefina sits on the cabinet. Her oldest set of books
are with her, telling me that they have had her since she was released.
They also had her cookbook on display.


Their Josefina, being in an outside building, was dusty.
Her clothes were dusty and she was dusty.
She did not have her braid in, but she had the blue ribbon
and yellow flowers in her hair.


I later had an odd interest. El Rancho de Las Golondrinas
is a historic rancho that is a museum. It is south of  Santa Fe.
It was a main area 
used by the author to research where Josefina lived. 
They have a Josefina on display in a clear box in a bookshelf
in their gift shop. 
They sell books and the mini Josefinas. 
They tend to have the most recently available merchandise from American Girl
in the Josefina books and mini dolls they have for sale.


The photos below were taken in Taos at the Martinez Hacienda.
It is another historic adobe home owned as a museum.
I took these photos last year. They have a room in the back
of the hacienda as a play area for children.
This is another example of where there are Josefina dolls
and items for people to learn about New Mexico history.



After we visited Josefina in the back area, we walked back
into the main courtyard of the Casa San Ysidro.



It has lanterns hanging along the portal like Josefina's lanterns.





I really wanted Sage to be photographed standing up,
which became an other learning experience. In my first round
of photos, the background was visible and in color,
but Josefina was darker and not as clear.


In round 2, I waited for some clouds to pass over the sun.
Sage was more visible in the photo, but the background
became bleached out.


The tip I received from and experienced photographer
was to use the flash in bright sunlight. The below picture
is not ideal. I took it in round 1 with a flash. The
photographer recommended using a white cloth cover over
the flash to lighten it up. I also normally back up when using
my flash on smaller dolls, but was not too far away in this photo.
Another experiment in how to get good photos.


While I was there, I photographed a frog in the middle
of the courtyard garden.



They also had crab apples growing on the trees.




I then chatted with the docent supervisor. The wonderful thing
about this event is that the people who came to listen to the speaker
were older and left after the talk. I was on the property with a few
docents and no other visitors. From my point of view, it was
a wonderful opportunity to take photos of my dolls without other
visitors! From the docent supervisor's point of view...maybe I should
be a docent at Casa San Ysidro!


I thanked the docents, and it was time to go.
I love the history of New Mexico, and it was a great day
for me to use my Josefina knowledge to understand an adult
point of view on the topic of history here.



*NOTE: My AG Sage will not go out frequently. 
When she does, there may be periodic "guest" 
blog entries. She is not taking over for Ella,
Autumn, and Amaya in this blog.





1 comment:

  1. You always take your dolls to such interesting places. Sage is very pretty. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete