Friday, October 10, 2014

Lights, Camera

My new lights arrived shortly before 6 pm.
They were quick and easy to set up.

SudioPRO
2 Table Top
Photography Lamps

With my white foam core boards set up,
it was time to get started!

My Halloween cat just made his annual appearance.
His all black color has made him very hard to photograph,
so I started with him.

Photo Conditions:
One StudioPRO lamp on each side. Low indoor light.
Next to a sliding glass door, 
but with low natural light due to evening clouds.
I have an older Canon Powershot.
It was set on "Portrait"
with the macro setting used for focus.

Photo 1
Both Lights On
No Camera Flash

Photo 2
Both lights on, with camera flash

I am thrilled that between the white background,
the extra lighting and flash,
my Halloween cat is clearly visible
and not hiding in a shadow.

Photo 3
Both lights on, with camera flash

Next, it was Ella's turn!

Photo 4
Both lights on, no camera flash

Photo 5
Both lights on.
I believe the camera flash was on.

Photo 6
left light on, right light off,
no camera flash

Photo 7
left light off, and right light on,
no camera flash

Photo 8
Both lights off,
camera flash on

Photo 9
Both lights off, no camera flash.
Some natural light from sliding glass door,
low household light.

Photo 10
Both lights on,
I believe the camera flash was on.

One disadvantage of my camera
is that if it wants to use the flash and I don't use it,
the shutter speed slows down and makes it difficult
to get a clearly focused photo.

Photo 11
Both lights off and no flash.

Time to try a background.

Photo 12
Both lights plus flash.
Eeek!!!!

I experimented some more.

Photo 13
No lights, with camera flash.

I turned off one light, and moved the other light
to the middle and pulled it further away to diffuse the light.
I also moved further away with the camera and its flash,

and used the macro feature to re-establish the close-up
from a distance.

Scrap book paper on the white foam core
as a floor and background.

Photo 14
One light pulled further away,
and set up in the center.
Inside camera setting,
camera flash on

Photo 15
One light pulled further away,
and set up in the center.
Inside camera setting,
camera flash on.


My conclusion:
The two full spectrum photo table top lights
are a positive addition to my indoor photography,
but it will take some playing with them in order
to set up ideal photos for each situation.

I also now get why people use a photo tent
to diffuse light!











No comments:

Post a Comment