Monday, April 4, 2016

Solana Beach La Colonia Park

I grew up on top of a hill looking across the valley,
but down in the valley, there is another community.
It began being settled in the 1920's by migrant farm workers
from Mexico who worked on local farms and ranches 
and wanted a local residence for their families.
Families continue to reside in the valley in the community
called Eden Gardens. It is a part of the earlier 20th century
history in the Solana Beach area.


La Colonia Park was built on the edge of the community
in the late 1970's. It has a playground, community center,
and space on the grass for sports.
The rock below is on the outer edge of the park.


A piece of Solana Beach history is located in La Colonia Park.
This is a piece of the original first home from the area.
It was built in the 1880's. It was moved a short distance
to this location.


It has become a museum that is open the first and third Saturday
of each month from 1 pm-4 pm. I discovered it online before I visited
my family, and was delighted that I was both here the first Saturday of the month,
and that I had a later flight time to be able to visit this museum.



I didn't expect to be in this small building more than
10 or 15 minutes, but I connected with the docent
who went over history and the use of the museum with me.
We had a great time talking! Eventually, I took out Ella
and my camera.


There are four rooms in this house. They are not decorated
as a home set-up. They have a collection of different historical items
that were predominantly donated from a variety of people.
They don't all come from residences in Solana Beach, but they are
used to teach the children and families in the community.


The stereoscope was interesting.
The docent picked up and showed me what the card
in it looked like through the double lenses.


Ella asked if I could find one her size.
After all, AG Samantha had one.
Maybe a 1:12 dollhouse sized one for a toy?



It also had valuable pieces for recording, records,
and sound.


The front room next to it had a player piano,
a vintage typewriter, a sewing machine, 
and an old radio.



The docent sat down and started the player piano.
She noted that the scrolls have words on them!







I told Ella how I had learned to type long before
computer keyboards! Not quite this long ago,
but I learned to type on a manual typewriter!


Ella later took some time on the wood United States map puzzle.
There is quite a distance between San Diego and Albuquerque!
I imagine the children who visit this place look mostly at the bottom
corner of the California piece as home.


Pre-Electrical Era Kitchen
The back two rooms are kitchens. One kitchen is from
the pre-electrical time period.




Water? This is a lot of work!




The stove looks like it takes a lot of work to use, too!




This is how they washed clothes?


Post-Electrical Era Kitchen
The second kitchen was after the 1930's or so,
when many residences had electricity.



This type of refrigerator is in Amaya's house!!!!



Wash the dishes, wash the clothes...
wash, wash, wash!!!!


What? This will cook my buns?
At least it is not plugged in!




After we had wandered around a few times,
we took one last look in the front corner.


There was a radio with a camera on it!


People have spent a long time taking pictures
and telling their life story in the images they photograph!


We had a nice time in Solana Beach,
and it was time to finish getting ready to go home.




























No comments:

Post a Comment